January 21, 2008

My go to

The easiest thing to eat when you're single and on the move is usually a greasy delicous fat filled carb filled cheese burger, with fries and a Coke the size of your head. Right? Wrong. But that's what I used to think. It turns out that it's much easier to pack something so you can just eat it when you have time.

My favorite is a salad because I can take all the ingredients with me. I have two standards. The first being a mixture of baby lettuce, cranberries, walnuts, and feta. I usually add some roasted chicken if I have some left over or I'll buy pre-roasted, pre-diced chicken when it's on sale. My favorite dressing for this mix is a vinagerette because of all the bright tangy flavors. Mmmm I'm hungry just thinking about it!

My other favorite is a classic chicken caesar. I like romaine, grated parmesan, chicken, and obviously caesar salad dressing? What's not to love?

There's a wide range of salad dressing options. Between flavors, brands, lite, spritzer, not to mention making your own, choosing a dressing can be intimidating. I happen to be a poor college student so i always go with what's cheap or on sale unless I find one I LOVE. I haven't really branched out into making my own dressing but I intend to someday.

I have a couple big tupperware containers and a couple smaller ones. I like to put my lettuce in the big one, my dressing in one of the smaller ones and my toppings in another small one. Everything packs up nicely into the big one and I'm on my way. All of this can be done the night before making mornings easy.

One last tip. If you dress the lettuce before you add the toppings you end up using less dressing and all the good stuff doesn't end up falling to the bottom.

1 comment:

Diane Lowe said...

Cool!

Pre-roasted, pre-diced chicken? Where do you score that?

I've been tempted to buy one of the pre-roasted chickens and just pull the meat from it myself. It's really, really tempting.

Dressing can be fun to make, but most recipes make a lot of dressing and they're only good for a couple days. I especially like ones that use lemon juice and olive oil.

My favorite dressings are Lighthouse Brand; there's a Raspberry Lime, a Huckleberry (my favorite but for some reason can only find in Montana/Idaho), and a Cranberry Walnut one I want to try.

My favorite salad that I do is a sweet/savory combination - I take an herb mix (or spring green mix), toss it with a sweeter dressing and add chunks of nectarines or peach. Then I sprinkle a little freshly ground pepper on top. It's perfect for summer, especially if you're doing barbecue.